Sunday, July 13, 2008

Intro video to Empire Total War

Total war is a respected and well known series of video games that fuse Real Time Strategy with Turn based strategy gameplay.
Although I've heard the series, it wasn't until ROME Total War that I fell in love, or should I say fell into the addiction, of the game.

The Real Time Strategy part of the game, where you could control thousands of units while in full 3D environment able to zoom in and out to quite and extense, made the wars (battles fell short to describe what the experience was like) feel pretty epic.
The leader of the army will give you a speech at the beginning of each battle.

During this battle you can pause but the real Turn based part of the game lies when you have an overview map of all the lands/empire/nations in play, which in the case of Rome was Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. In here you not only move armies, but have to deal with the economics and politics of your mayor cities, while moving spies and diplomats to wherever they are needed.
Battles are very large scales, having different parts of your armies dealing with entirely different situations.






Rome was incredibly addictive and the creators later came on with Medieval Total war II, a game which although looked amazing; given the expansion moving on to the Americas without an army I would like to support (I would like a south american faction), never managed to make me buy it.







The latest installment which you can see the intro video below, has got my interest again. We are introduce to the new Naval battles while still maintaining the epic open battlefields in land, and the political/economical management that might lead to revolts.



The video does a great job at giving you a glimpse of how it will be and what has me intrigued for quite a while... it will be the first of the series where the entire world is in combat...as seen on the end of the movie.

Given the time period I will have some conflict on which faction to play and support, but this video and some news that will be coming from E3 have definitely got me thinking about the series again.

I hope you do so as well now :D , there is a lot LOT more in the total war series than what little details I've mentioned above.
Definitely worth checking out sometime.

1 comment:

styx said...

yes, I am also not sure who to support. There are no likable empires/countries in the XVIII, XIX centuries. Maybe the French, so they can take on the arrogant British empire :-P

They should do a total war of the period before Rome. Persian total realism :-)