Monday, November 10, 2008

MAC IS DEAD


A normal afternoon, just browsing the web before the one to one meeting with my boss.
All is fine, until the rainbow circle of Mac stop-poking-me-let-me-think appeared.
5 minutes later the Mac stop responding at all, the option apple esc doesn't work to force Firefox to close.
10 minutes later I decide to force a shut down. After restart I see for the first time a Mac blue screen of death. Not the same as windows, it can not start, has a question mark in a folder telling me it can't find the hard drive to boot.

It won't boot from a cd.
It can not be recognized by other macs via firewire.

2 days later I have to call in for a repair box ... and I'll have to say good bye to over 300 something bucks.

UPDATE: 11-11-08 The box has come, and my MAC is on the way.
UPDATE 11-13-08 I've received my mac, smells like new but I have lost all my data. (I think I lost some audiobooks for sure, I never back up that >.<)

5 comments:

A Fly on the Wall said...

but...so... you have revived your mac?

I have a lot of problems with my mac as well. My next computer will definitely NOT be a mac.

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

Nope, box has not arrived >.>

A Fly on the Wall said...

but once the box arrives, all will be well?

juanton said...

My MacBook Pro is in the repair center too. The screen was acting up. They changed the screen and the logic board (apparently apple recalled the video chip on my logicboard). They gave it back to me yesterday, and the network card is screwed up. So I took it back to the repair center this morning. They just called and said that the new logic board is bad, and that they would have a new new logic board installed by tomorrow afternoon....

Like Forest Gump said, "shit happens". Fortunately this is all covered by the warranty, and, beside the inconvenience of having to use my windows desktop (ugh!) this has only taken about 2 or 3 hours of my time, at most. I think that the convenience of the Mac in my life is worth those 2-3 hours. So, my next new computer is still going to be a Mac.

styx said...

What are you guys doing with your computers?? I haven't had problems with my mac/linux/ or even Windows PC (although I haven't used Windows in about 3 years now).
Maybe I am just lucky :-P


Oh, actually the battery of my IBM laptop died a couple of months ago, but since it is the school's laptop, they had replacements at hand :-)