Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Turtles can fly



This must be the "harshest" movie I've ever seen.
After seen the trailer I assume the usual "life can be beautiful even in the face of adversity", a common theme in "third world country" movies. Yet this one has left me in shock.
I recommend it , yet I don't think I have the courage to see any other of the Bahman Ghobadi movies.

From the first review in iMDB "A viewing of this film earlier tonight ... was immediately followed, in my case, by a trip to a bathroom stall where I stared blankly at a wall for fifteen minutes amidst a state of pure, and surprisingly prolonged, emotional helplessness"
I can relate.

4 comments:

styx said...

Did you see "la vendedora de rosas"? that was harsh :-(

Kanmi the Conqueror said...

No, but at least I know that one has a better ending as the movie help the young child.
Wasn't she off the streets? at least for a while >.>

styx said...

Some of the actors have been killed (in real life) and the protagonist is in jail!! This movie is not only depressing for the movie, but to see what happened to the people involved after the movie!

A Fly on the Wall said...

a bit late to comment on this one but... ok i should watch this movie. :-)

I think that in general it is easier for us to ignore the harshness in the world and live in our own little bubble. Even the wars and other atrocities that we "see" are highly censored and made "feel-good".

IMHO it is good to see these kinds of movies, if for no other reason than knowing what is happening in the world and how lucky we are with our lives and how meaningless our complaints can be.

Having said that, hope is good thing to have :-D